Tuesday

Going For a Colonoscopy (One)

My last colonoscopy or endoscopy was done about 7 years ago. The doctor found a couple of non-malign polyps. She recommended that I repeat the procedure in two years' time. Well, it wasn't a very pleasant experience and I took my time with that.


An endoscopy is a safe and effective way to examine the linings of our internal organs such as stomach, colon , lung and bile duct. For colonoscopy, it is usually done to screen for inflammation of the large intestine, polyps, haemorrhoids or piles and colorectal cancer. So it is an essential medical screen at some point in our lives. It is normally recommended for adults who are 50 years old. The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommends colonoscopy as one of the screening test for colorectal cancer beginning at age 50 years and continuing until age 75 years. Colonoscopy is the most effective screening test as it examine the entire colon and rectum. Sigmoidoscopy only examine the rectum and part of the colon.


It involves a long, thin and flexible tube with a video camera attached to the end. It is also able to remove polyps although I am not sure how. It seems that there are other tools other than the camera. The procedure is done under sedation as a day surgery. Around 2 - 4 hours including registration and discharge. The procedure itself is not unpleasant. It is the bowel preparation prior that is uncomfortable.


Four days prior, I had to start on a special diet. I could not eat vegetable and fruits. I could only eat rice, fish and chicken. One day prior, my diet became stricter. Breakfast was just clear tea and plain bread. No milk and jam allowed. Lunch and dinner was chicken or fish porridge. My colonoscopy was planned for 2pm. On the day of the colonoscopy, I had water and plain bread for breakfast. No eating was allowed after 7am.


I had to drink one litre of laxative between 7am and 8am. I took my time doing so because it is a yucky and salty solution. I immediately regretted drinking too much water for breakfast. At 7 am, I drank about 200ml and became absorbed with web browsing.  At 7.50am, I realised that I still have a whole flask of solution to finish in 10 minutes. Between 8am and 9am, I was supposed to drank the second litre of the same solution. Drinking the solution is nauseating to the point of vomiting. The solution I drank is labelled colonic lavage solution but I think it is actually soap. There were suds when I rinsed the flask later. The manufacturer recommends drinking 3 - 4 litres for complete lavage. Thank goodness, the doctor only prescribed two litres. Well, now you know why it is unpleasant. But that was just the beginning. Anyway, I forced myself to gulp down the solution. It didn't helped that the flask had a plastic odour from being kept in storage for too long.




Reference
Colorectal Cancer Screening Guidelines (n.d.). Centre for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved from
http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/colorectal/basic_info/screening/guidelines.htm